Situated 22kms away from the land of the exotic art form of theyyam- Thalassery is a small town in the northern terrain of Kannur. The Thalassery Fort is an imposing historical monument in this town.
The East India Company which had established its settlement on the Malabar Coast in 1683 built the monument as a testimonial of their colonial imperialism on 20th August 1708, on a small hill known as Thiruvallappad kunnu. The fort was once the center of Thalassery’s development.
The imposing square fort has huge, intricately carved doors, massive walls and secret tunnels to the sea and all in all, the perfect setting for the visitors to get an authentic taste of some local history and heritage! The Church built beneath the Walls of the Fort with funds left by the Master attendant Mr. Edward Brennen and the bulky mosque known as Odathil Palli attracts both the local and tourists.